Sunday, March 01, 2009

Thai Language

I have not picked up much Thai while staying here. I figured I wasn’t going to be here that long and I really wouldn’t have much use for it later. Besides, it seems pretty difficult. I have picked up a few phrases, really just basic stuff but the Thai people seem so amazed that I know anything. I'll just say hello (Sawasdee Khrap) and how are you (Sabadee Mai) in Thai and they say, "Oh you speak you Thai" with just a hint of amazement and I'll say no (mai) in Thai and they'll say, "Oh yes you do," it's really pretty funny. But honestly I just know a few simple phrases and run through the entire set of them in about four minutes.
I haven’t had the chance to use my Thai phrase book much or the following conversation at all, but I thought it interesting that the book gave the following translations under the “drinking up” section and I tried to image someone using the phrases with the aid of the book. Here is the list of phrases from top to bottom:

Cheers!
This is hitting the spot.
I feel fantastic!
I think I’ve had one too many.
I’m feeling drunk.
I feel ill.
I think I’m going to throw up.
Where’s the toilet?
I’m tired, I better go home.
Can you call a taxi for me?
I don’t think you should drive.

Pretty much everyone does speak English, some obviously better than others. Most of the people who interact with the tourists are quite fluent and almost everyone wants to show off their English and practice a little bit. For instance, when we pass kids, they will generally say, "Hello, how are you" in that stilted second-language manner people have. Maya makes things interesting. Most people assume she is Thai and speak to her in Thai and we have to explain that we are from the States and she only speaks English. I have also had to learn the term "Luk Sow" or daughter which, somewhat surprisingly, everyone seems to accept without question. You do come acrossing some interesting translations on signs. At least the bathroom signs are fairly explicit. The sign at the bottom of the pole on the left advertises "the most beautiful toilet" and this is at a Thai Air Force pubic installation. It seems that the Thai Royal Police and the Military are two entities that are well funded, in no small part as a result of their own "entrepreneurial" initiative. The picture at the bottom rignt is from a food stall at one of the night markets where we commonly eat. Instead of KFC chicken, it's KFG chicken which stand for "Kentucky Fried Guy" because Guy is the Thai word for chicken. For some reason that one just tickles my fancy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home