Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Chinchero Hike













On Tuesday, I cut Zak loose from school so that he and Bart and I could try a hike I heard about from the town of Chinchero down through Urquillos toward the valley floor at Willcaibamba. I had heard the route was an exciting downhill bike ride but even I hadn’t bargained for the incredible scenery. Once we completed the majority of the downhill, we encountered the village of Urquillos where we found a chicharia in a local house. The proprietress spread a blanket on a plank on which we parked our butts while Bart and I enjoyed a chicha and Zak played with some baby geese. The kids were obviously intrigued by us gringos but too scared to come out from around the corner and talk to us. In Willcaibamba we passed both a witch doctor’s office and a giant statue of a farmer with a corn; I’m not sure which I found to be more disconcerting. While the Valley is decidedly untouristy, giant statues are quite popular; Calca features a statue of a giant woman (with giant blemishes?) in native dress while Urubumba has a decidedly unintimidating statue of a giant puma. From Willcaibamba we caught a VERY crowded bus to Calca (I may have accidentally squished a young girl en route) where we lunched in Calca before relaxing at the Machacancha hot spring North of town before heading home. Zak has really become quite the hiker although he says prefers riding horses; although any day off of school is a good day off of school.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Don Ball Carbajal said...

Joe,

I just spent about 2 hours, maybe more, reading all the posts in your blog. What a well-written journal. It would certainly suffice to post a few photos and captions and call it a night, but your text descriptions are delightful. I enjoyed reading about the local families you've met, the ruins you've seen, the food you've eaten and then, most interestingly, your kids' reactions to it all.

I have a blog myself, in which I write about the arcana of South America and Peru, so I tend to seek out blogs like yours. But I saw so many commonalities between your situation and mine, that at times I thought I was reading my own account of an upcoming trip.

I'm on the verge of 40 myself and I'm headed to Cusco in a couple weeks with my 11-year-old daughter Sophie -- with some of the same motivations you described in an early post where you were explaining "Why Peru?" and "Why Cusco?". In my case, I'm hoping Sophie can (a) see for the first time the country my mother came from (b)learn some Spanish and (c) discover what life is about outside the suburbs of St. Paul, outside the U.S. and outside the rat race. Not that she's any kind of materialistic princess, but each of us only know what we know.

A couple of questions for you before I finish this Magna Carta: Are you still in Cusco or have you returned to the states? If you're still there, will you be there around the 16th of June? If so, it would be great to meet you and your kids. I'll bet Sophie and Zak would make fast friends.

Well, take care. If you care to write back, you can reach me at don(at sign)polymerstudios.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home